Magnesium is one of the important minerals present in the human body. An adult consist of about 25 grams of magnesium in the body. Out of this, about 50% to 60% is present in the skeletal system. While the remaining 40% to 50% is present in the muscle, body fluids, and soft tissues. You can measure the concentration of magnesium by the xylidyl blue method.
Magnesium Normal Range
The range of magnesium in a normal person depends upon numerous factors. The method of measurement in the laboratory, the reagent used for the measurement, etc, are some of the important factors in the laboratory. Other factors include the geographical location, habitat, age, sex, etc.
The range shown below is the approximate value of the serum, urine, and CSF. But it can vary from one laboratory to another.
- Neonates:- 1.2 – 2.6 mg/dl
- Children:- 1.5 – 2.3 mg/dl
- Women:- 1.9 – 2.5 mg/dl
- Men:- 1.8 – 2.6 mg/dl
- Urine:- 73 – 122 mg/dl (24 hrs collection)
- CSF:- 2.1 – 3.3mg/dl
If the level of magnesium in a person goes out of the range shown above, then he/she is recommended to visit the doctor for consultation.
A low magnesium level can be an indication of malabsorption syndrome, hyperparathyroidism, diabetic ketoacidosis, etc. Similarly, a high level can be an indication of uremia, chronic renal failure, glomerulonephritis, etc.
Some of the natural diets that are highly rich in magnesium are stated below.
- Fatty Fish:- Trout, Salmon, Mackerel, Halibut, etc.
- Seeds:- Chia seeds, etc.
- Nuts:- Tree nuts, Peanuts, Walnut, Almonds
- Leafy Green Vegetables:- Mustard green, Collard Green, Kale, Rapini, Spinach, Beet Green
- Whole Grain Cereals:- Wheat, Oats, Barley, etc.
- Lean Protein
- Legumes:- Beans, Peas, etc.
Besides these, you can also use supplements. For more details please go through the video shown below.
- Magnesium is responsible for carrying out hundreds of biological reactions in the body. Some of them are protein formation, nerve regulation, movement of the muscles, maintenance of the gene, etc.
- Along with calcium, it is also responsible for the growth and development of the bones.
- It is also responsible for the burning of food to release energy. This in turn helps to improve the performance of an individual.
- Some researches have shown that magnesium helps to reduce blood pressure. However, much more researches need to be carried on to verify this statement.
- A decrease in the level of magnesium can result in inflammation of the body. This is mainly visible in the cases of aging, obesity, chronic diseases, etc.
- Magnesium also helps to fight against type 2 diabetes. Similarly, if maintained in the proper range, it reduces the chances of developing diabetes in the body.
Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms
Some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency in the human body are as follows.
- Weakness and fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- The abnormal rhythm of the heart
- Inflammation of the body
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Mental stress
Magnesium Xylidyl Blue Method
1. Principle Reaction
Magnesium reacts with xylidyl blue in an alkaline solution to form a color complex. The intensity of the color is directly proportional to the concentration of magnesium in the sample.
2. Sample Preparation
The table shown below is valid for Analyticon, Tulip, and Diasys. If you have a reagent of any other company then there can be a minor variation in the procedure.
First of all, make a working solution out of the given two reagents. The ratio of their composition will be given in the literature. But, if you have only one reagent besides the calibrator, then that will act as a working solution.
Then add ‘x’ μl of sample/calibrator to the ‘100x’ μl of working solution. After that, incubate the solution, at 370C, for 5 mins. Then feed the solution in the semi-auto biochemistry analyzer.
In the case of reagent blank, replace the sample/calibrator with the same volume of distilled water. Then follow the above steps from the beginning.
If the concentration of magnesium in the sample is very high (out of range/ non-linear curve) then dilute the solution with 0.9% NaCl or distilled water at the ratio of 1:y. Finally, when you get the result, multiply it with the dilution factor (1+ y).
3. Programming of Magnesium in a Semi-auto Biochemistry Analyzer (Xylidyl Blue Method)
4. Handling of the Reagent
- Wear an apron and surgical gloves before carrying out the measurement.
- Look for the expiry date of the reagents during purchase and measurement time. Suppliers tend to give you reagent kits with a low expiry interval.
- Once you open the reagent bottles, the lifespan will decrease. So, look in your reagent kit literature for that.
- Bring the reagents and samples to room temperature before you can carry out any measurement.
- Always store reagents in the refrigerator when not in use.